Sunday, January 30, 2011

Batik

I'm a fiber artist and have done a lot of dyeing in my time, but have never done batik. I adore it, it's right up my alley, but something has always held me back. Who knows what, or why, as I'm usually rather adventurous, especially when it comes to my craft. I guess I'll just have to continue to admire from afar, and appreciate the beauty that the wonderful Batik artists out there create.

This colorway was inspired by an unconventional quilt made from a myriad of batik fabrics. Deep blue green, coral, pink, blue, olive tones and almost black were mixed throughout, but the whole thing had a cohesive feel. It felt funky and fun and special. I took colors from the quilt that were the essence of that special blanket and made a colorway that hopefully speaks to it's origins.

No comments: